Friday, November 23, 2007

Tis the season

Hunting season is back again... I hate this time of year. I have so many de mi familia into hunting. A lot of times I just hold my tongue, but it isn't really the best approach. I don't like to be preachy, I've been on the opposite side of that before and I sure as hell didn't like it, but you can't let your beliefs go to the wayside either. I'm finding the best thing to do is to just be honest. Most people in my life understand my viewpoints, yet seem to want to constantly test them. That gets tiresome after awhile for sure, but at the same time, if the everyday vegan doesn't step up and defend the ideals, who will? I know not all vegans are about animal rights and all, but it does seem that most at least sympathize. I'm sitting staring at a handful of crossbow bolts for the new crossbow my father gave me today. I like weapons and stuff, but a small part of me is now able to look at them and think, "one less hunt". My family owns countryside property and I'm thinking about going out soon to do some target shootings. From the very first moment it crossed my mind, my first thought was how I might disrupt the hunters that day. Maybe for one day the deer will get a reprieve.

Hunting at on time was a nessicary for life, or so they say. I understand that. No problem, but I still wonder why is it nessicary now? Population control is always the biggest argument, hell I've argued that before I became veg. Now I think maybe it would be better for us to learn to live with the environment instead of ruling it. Funny how life circles and revolves isn't it. Realistically, hunting is an archaic way of the past. Most people that hunt only want to get their picture in the paper for the biggest rack or largest buck. Yea, they say the will eat the meat, and use all they can, but it seems to me the only thing most hunters are interested in is the "glory". The deep down ugly little sadistic streak that only comes from the kill. That feeling of dominance over the wild. Man vs Beast. Whatever you want to call it. If you really want to hunt, sell your possessions, move to the wilderness and live off the land. Respect nature. At least then you are part of the natural cycle of life. If not, stick to the supermarket for your next hunt, at you better pick free range.

No comments: