Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Life, football, and fines.

I must applaud the NFL today. 5 Players from the Atlanta Falcons were slapped with fines over a game last monday for coming out in support of Michael Vick. I cannot understand the motivation of these guys. I mean besides the fact that they are supporting someone who himself as admitted he was wrong, but the shear cruelty of the event should make it obvious.

They are supporting pain and suffering.

The NFL, like most of mass media, has such a sway over the populous, and they took a strong stance on this issue in my opinion. I am glad that they continue to not back down, even if they are using a "uniform violation" as the reasoning behind it.

Now they just need to switch to synthetic balls.

My message to those 5 players...
...you want to support Vick? Never let him forget the pain and suffering he caused to the dogs. Don't let this kind of abuse happen again. Fight animal cruelty.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Are there societal implications for this type of behavior? You know what I'm talking about. This "gangsta" mentality in the black community. I'm not stereotyping the black community as a whole but those that ascribe to this kind of attitude towards animals. Is it endemic?

I know there are other issues such as laboratory experimentation and the meat industry, invariably run by white corporate America but that should be left to another discussion.

This is what gives pit-bulls a bad rap. Communities across the country outlaw owner-ship of American bull-terriers as if the dog is at fault. Bullshit.

There are two things worth discussion.
1) I think American bull-terriers seem to have become a symbol of power among the criminal element in the black community.
2) White people (politicians and community leaders) seek to stigmatize this dog by recognizing the symbolism and not grappling with the real issue. Crime...

Sorry, I'm ranting.

I don't think these 5 players or Vick himself give a rat's ass about those dogs made to suffer. If they did we wouldn't be talking about this.

Ok, I'm done. (Good post by the way).